If you’re a fan of buying different kinds of accessories for your TV and accordingly collecting a huge number of remotes, it may be time to stop with the second one. Why torture yourself with endless instructions and get used to a new device every time if you just have to deal with one. Using a universal remote control will make it much easier to control your TV and the devices connected to it.
How to program your Universal remote
In order to program a universal remote control to control a specific device. To do that, you need:
- After powering on your universal remote control, press and hold the DEVICE button. Note that some remote controls require you to press the Setup button before you can press the device button. You will know that the power-up was successful when the LEDs for the unit and the power button light up.
- The buttons may be labeled as being for a specific device. However, this doesn’t mean that you cannot use them for any compatible device. Remember which one corresponds to which device you’re controlling.
- Next, while holding down the device button on the remote control, enter the brand code of the device. If the brand has more than one code, start with the first one. When you enter the code, the power button on the remote control will turn off.
- After entering the code, continue to hold down the device button. You will know you have entered the correct code when the remote control power button stays on. If the power button starts blinking and repeats several times, then the password is incorrect. Repeat attempts to enter all available codes until you get a positive response.
After programming is complete, check that your remote control works. It should control the basic functions of the connected device. For example, switch on and off, adjust the sound, and change channels.
How to use the Auto Search function
In case you don’t have access to resources with programming codes, or you can’t find the one you need, use the Auto Search function. The essence of this function is that the device itself will search its database for the desired code, checking several at a time. To use this function, you need:
- First activate the device you want to control.
- Then take the remote control, and press the DEVICE button on the remote control. This should be the button associated with the device you want to control.
- After that, press the device button again, along with the POWER button. You should do this at the same time. Then the power button will turn on and off again.
- Release both buttons.
- Press and release the PLAY button on the remote control to check if the desired code is found. If after a few seconds the desired device turns on, it had found the code correctly. If not, continue the code search procedure.
While searching, press and release the REVERSE button on the remote control every two seconds until the device turns on. When this happens, it means that the remote control has successfully searched for the correct code.