If you use Discord, then you know that the server admins themselves set the rules that users must follow. In addition to the server rules, Discord also has global rules. They mainly deal with illegal content and its distribution.
If you’re a server admin, and you see someone posting illegal content, you should report it before someone does it to you or limit the user’s access to your server. The thing is if you don’t do that before someone gets ahead of you, the whole server can be deleted. Read on how to do this.
How to contact Discord Safety and Security team on PC
If a site moderator has ignored your message, but you still feel you need to take some action, you can report the violation directly to Discord Safety and Security. Note that Discord Safety and Security will only deal with cases where general rules have been violated.
If the server banned spoilers and someone told you what’s the end of a new movie, it’s very unlikely that contacting the helpline directly will help you in removing this person from the server. The best ways to report violations on different devices are described below.
How to turn on developer mode on Discord using your PC
To send a message like this, you’ll need to turn on developer mode. To do this:
- Go to and log in to Discord on your computer.
- At the bottom of the window, next to your username, select the gear icon.
- In the left sidebar, click “Appearance”.
- Next, scroll down and turn on “Developer Mode”.
How to find other’s users ID on Discord using your PC
After that, you will need to get the user ID of the person you want to report. To do this:
- Right-click on his or her username.
- Select “Copy ID”.
- Paste it in a place that you can easily access later.
How to get a link to a particular post on Discord using your PC
In order to write a reference for a particular post, you need to get a link to it. To do this:
- Go to the message you want to report.
- Hover your cursor over the message and click on the three dots that will appear as you hover over it.
- Select the “Copy Link” function. Paste it in a safe place.
How to send your report to Discord Safe and Security team
When you have collected all the information you need, you can send it to the Discord trust and security team. To do this:
- Provide your email address and insert two IDs in the “Description” field.
- Provide the context of your report, describing what rule you think was broken.
- If necessary, add files using the box below.
- Click “Submit” and the report will be sent to Discord. They will email you if they want to respond to your report.
How to contact Discord Safety and Security team on your phone
If you’re using Discord through your phone, then first of all you also need to enable developer mode. To do this:
- Open Discord on your iPhone or Android.
- Go to your user settings by tapping the gear icon or profile picture next to your username on the side menu.
- On iPhone, tap “Appearance” and then “More”. On Android, scroll down to “App Settings” and tap “Behavior”.
- Enable developer mode by toggling this option to “On”.
How to find other’s users ID on Discord using your phone
Getting the user ID may differ depending on the OS version, but they’re generally identical. Do the following:
- Go to user profile.
- In the upper right corner of the screen, click on the three dots and select “Copy ID”.
- Then paste that ID somewhere where it can be safely copied later.
How to get a link to a particular post on Discord using your phone
To get the link to the message, do the following:
- Navigate to the message, and then tap and hold it.
- On your iPhone, select “Copy Message Link”. On an Android phone, select “Share”.
- Then select “Copy to clipboard”.
The method for sending the report is the same as for PC. Just use a description from that part of the article, and you will get the result.
How to deal with users who send forbidden messages on servers
The ability to report someone for violating the rules of using Discord is available for all types of devices on which you can use this social network. For all devices, the methods are very simple, read more about them below.
How exactly server admins deal with users who commit forbidden actions
If you see violations on the server but aren’t its admin, the first thing you should do is to contact a moderator of the server. If it’s a server in which in addition to you and your friends there are many other people, there must be a moderator.
Moderators of the server have the right to delete posts and ban users, regulate the communication of people in accordance with the standards established on the server and the general rules of Discord.
The moderator’s main duty is to deal with problematic users. The point is that you shouldn’t be in a hurry to ban someone on Discord in general.
It may be a good idea to ask the moderator to simply delete the message first and warn the offending user not to send messages with forbidden content or otherwise violate the rules.
If the person doesn’t heed the warning and continues to violate the rules, then you should contact the moderator to have him banned from the server.
How to find out who exactly is the moderator on the server
To determine who exactly is on the server moderator, you can click on his name and check his role. If under his name it says “Moderator” or “Administrator”, then it’s the right person for you.
You can also check with other users to see who on the server performs this role, as on different servers the moderator role may be signed differently.
In addition to the signature, you can also identify the site administrator by the crown next to his nickname. A person with a badge like this is the owner of the server, and it’s also a good idea to contact him if you can’t find a moderator.
How it is better to send your report to moderator
In order to avoid possible conflicts, it’s better to write your complaints in private messages to the moderator. Just in case, make a few screenshots of the evidence of your accusations and describe the problem in detail, but briefly.
If it isn’t about the working chat, it’s likely that your moderator is an ordinary person who doesn’t want to go into detail in a huge text. Also, specify in what chat on the server and when it happened the reason for which you’re appealing to him. Exactly specify the nickname of the person you want to complain to.