Many people use Facebook because of the ability to have a separate Messenger app. So it is convenient because you cannot waste time on the feed and news and immediately open the necessary chats. That’s one of the reasons why a lot of people use it.
For me, Facebook is not the best social networking site because a lot of the features are not in intuitive places. That is, you have to spend time searching to find and activate or deactivate. This also applies to deactivating Facebook Messenger on any device.
Is it possible to deactivate Facebook Messenger?
If for some reason, you decide to give up Facebook Messenger and take a break from chatting, you will not be able to deactivate it in the Messenger app. That is, it works in such a way that you need first to open or download the Facebook app. Perform some actions in the Facebook app.
As Messenger is linked to your main Facebook account. Therefore, Messenger depends on the functionality of your page. You cannot deactivate your Messenger account without first deactivating your Facebook account.
If your goal is not to waste time chatting and flipping through your feed, you can delete the Facebook Messenger app on your device. You can still use Facebook, flip through your feed, and see posts. You will also be visible to other Messenger users. However, if you want to leave and deactivate Facebook and Facebook Messenger, you need to follow the next steps.
How to deactivate Facebook on your mobile device?
As I wrote earlier, to deactivate Facebook Messenger, you must first deactivate your Facebook page. If you don’t, it won’t work. Whether you have an iPhone or an Android, you must follow the same steps. To deactivate Facebook on your mobile device, you need to:
- The first step to deactivate Facebook on your mobile device is to open the app.
- Then, you need to select the Menu section by clicking on the button with the three lines.
- After that, you need to select the Settings & Privacy section.
- After that, select Settings.
- Next, you will need to click on Personal and Account Information.
- Then click on Account ownership and control.
- The next step is to click on Deactivation and deletion.
- Next, select the Deactivate Account checkbox and then click Continue.
- Then Verify your action with your password.
After these steps, you will be able to deactivate your Facebook page. You can also perform these steps in your browser if you don’t have the app installed on your iPhone or Android device.
How to deactivate Messenger on your mobile device?
In my opinion, the Messenger settings are placed quite illogically, which is why so many people need to look for an answer. To deactivate Messenger on your mobile device, you need to follow these steps:
- The first step to deactivate Messenger on your mobile device is to open the app.
- Then after that, you need to select the Chats section.
- Next, click on your account icon at the top of the screen.
- Then click on Account Settings.
- You then need to select Account ownership and control.
- Then you need to click on Deactivation and deletion.
- After that, check the box next to Deactivate account and press Continue to account deactivation.
- Then enter your password and tap Continue.
Your account will be deactivated immediately. People will no longer be able to continue chatting with you. There will also be a notification about this. To reactivate it, log in with your old data.
How to deactivate Facebook on the browser?
You can also deactivate your Facebook page using the browser on your PC, Mac, or smartphone. You need to deactivate your Facebook account before deactivating Messenger. To deactivate Facebook on the browser, you need to follow these steps:
- The first step to deactivate Facebook in your browser is to click on your profile icon at the top right of your screen.
- Then select Settings & Privacy.
- The next step is to select Settings.
- Then click on the Your Facebook information tab in the left-hand menu.
- You will need to scroll through and select Deactivation and deletion.
- The next step is to check Deactivate account and click on Continue Account Deactivation.
Then after these steps, your Facebook page will be deactivated. You will get the same result as using an iPhone or android smartphone. To regain access, you will need to use the same login information.
How to deactivate Messenger on the browser?
Deactivating in Messenger is quite different from the same thing on a smartphone because you can’t deactivate just messenger.
It works in such a way that deactivation is only available for Facebook. This looks quite logical since you cannot use only messenger through the browser, as it is impossible and illogical if you could only deactivate it.
Therefore, to deactivate Facebook Messenger on your PC you will need to install the Messenger app on your smartphone and then follow the steps described above.