YouTube is one of the most popular services worldwide and the most used video hosting service. This is because it has a friendly interface and good conditions for content authors. This allows millions of users to post videos on YouTube and even more to view those videos. Not surprisingly, the YouTube app is available on most devices where you might need it. YouTube is available on almost all Smart TVs. However, some users wonder how they can block YouTube on their Smart TV so that only authorized users can access it.
There can be many reasons for this, as different content on YouTube may not be suitable for all users; for example, many videos on the service are unsuitable for children. In addition, you may not want anyone else to have access to your YouTube subscription list. To block YouTube on most Smart TV systems, you can use Parental Controls. Let’s understand how it works and what you need to activate it.
What feature can you use to block YouTube on Smart TV?
Let’s discuss what feature you can use to block the YouTube app on your Smart TV. If you are not interested in more detailed information about the tools available for this, you can skip to the next section of this article, where you will find detailed steps to block YouTube on Smart TV.
As I mentioned above, to block YouTube or another application on your Smart TV, you can use tools that are called Parental Control. You need these tools to limit the content your children and other loved ones have access to. Typically, this feature will allow you to add a password for the app you need to enter to open it. It is also worth mentioning that parental Control may also be present in some applications. For example, streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, HBO Max, and others have such a feature.
However, different Smart TV models may have different instructions for activating Parental Controls. Some models may even have a different name for this feature. For example, you will need to create a separate account with fewer app access rights to activate the YouTube lock on Android TV. Let’s take a closer look at the steps for different Smart TVs.
How to block YouTube on various Smart TVs
Let’s now understand how to activate Parental Control on different Smart TVs. The point is that Smart TVs from different manufacturers have different operating systems. Almost all excellent TV manufacturers release their software for their Smart TV. Also, many use Android TV. Let me describe the steps for a few of the most popular TVs, including Android TV. To block YouTube on your Smart TV, you need the following:
How to block YouTube on your Hisense Smart TV
- Press the Quick Setup Menu button on your remote.
- Then press the right arrow button to see the side menu.
- Select System.
- Then press Parental Controls.
- Enter your PIN and press OK. By default, the PIN code will be set to 0000.
- After that, click on Locks.
- On the following menu, select App Restrictions and specify YouTube here.
How to block YouTube on Samsung Smart TV
- Press the Home button on your remote.
- Select Apps.
- Here, find and go to Settings.
- Select the Lock option.
- Select YouTube from the drop-down list.
- Enter the PIN code for future access to YouTube. Confirm your action with OK.
How to Block YouTube on LG Smart TV
- Press the Smart button.
- Go to Settings.
- Select the Lock option.
- In the following menu, you need to select Application Lock.
- A list of applications will appear in front of you. Select YouTube and enter your password.
- You need to press OK to finish the action.
How to lock YouTube on Vizio Smart TV
The instructions will be slightly different in the case of Vizio Smart TV. The fact is that to activate Parental Control on Vizio Smart TV. You will need to enter a special code on your remote control. This code can differ from model to model, so you should check your Visio Smart TV manual.
In the Parental Control menu, you will find the App Lock item. After that, find YouTube in the list of apps and select it as the locking application.
How to block YouTube on Sony Smart TV (Android TV)
In the case of Sony Smart TV, instructions will also be unusual. The fact is that Sony Smart TV has an Android TV operating system. To use the parental control functions, you must create an account with no access rights to specific applications. To do this, you need to:
- Press the Menu button on your remote.
- Select Settings from the list.
- Then find the Personal option.
- Here click on Security & Restrictions.
- Select Create Restricted Profile.
- After that, tap on Set up a PIN.
- You will see a list of apps in front of you. Select YouTube and press OK.
- Press Back on your remote control.
Please note that this manual will work for any TV with Android TV. If you can not find instructions for the Smart TV your model, then you should try the steps described above; as the operating system of Smart TV is similar, then perhaps you will find a solution that fits you. Also, I suggest you look for the answer in the manual with your Smart TV.