LG smart TVs are one of the popular TV brands that allow you to view a wide range of media content over the Internet. Regardless of the model of your LG TV, you’ll get a remote control that you can use to turn the TV on/off, change channels, adjust the volume, change the input source, and more. However, you may run into a situation where you need to find ways to use your LG TV after your remote control is damaged.
Smart TV can only be classified as a Smart TV if you can use it without a remote control. Yes, it may happen that you lost the original remote control or it just broke. You won’t just sit around waiting for a replacement remote and not use your LG TV. So, here’s how to change the input source on your LG TV without a remote.
What is the input source?
The input source on all TVs is the designation of the external device you connect to the TV. In other words, you can use it to connect a game console to play video games on the big screen. To do this, you will need to connect an HDMI cable to the TV via input source. In this way, you can connect not only the game console but also other devices, such as streaming devices like Roku, Apple TV, etc.
With HDMI and an input source, you can also connect your laptop or smartphone to the TV. This way, you don’t have to fiddle with mirroring your screen to LG TV using your Android and additional devices like Chromecast to watch content on multiple devices. All you need is an HDMI cable.
Changing the input source is pretty easy, especially if you have a remote control at hand. However, this is not always possible because the equipment is not always reliable and can fail at a time when you don’t expect it at all. Fortunately, LG’s new Smart TVs allow you to use their TVs without remote control, and that’s fine.
- How to change the input source on Sony TV without remote
- How to get LG TV out of Demo Mode or Store Mode
- How to turn off subtitles on LG TV
How to change the input source on LG TV using the LG ThinQ app
The LG ThinQ app is a great tool that allows you to use your smartphone to control your LG Smart TV. However, before you can use it, you must install it and pair the app with the TV. To do this, you have to follow these steps:
- First of all, download and install the LG ThinQ app on your mobile device.
- Then, turn on your LG TV by pressing the physical power button.
- After that, open the LG ThinQ app and sign in to your account, if necessary.
- Next, tap on the “Add a Device” button.
- Navigate to the “Home Appliances” tab and tap on the “Select Device” option.
- Now, choose your LG TV from the list of available devices.
- Enter the code that appears on the TV screen into the ThinQ app.
- Tap on the “Move to Home” button to pair your mobile device with your LG TV.
- Finally, tap the “Input” icon in the middle of the bottom row on the main app screen and select the desired input.
Once you have completed these steps, you will be able to change the input source on LG TV using the LG ThinQ app. Moreover, almost in the same way, you can also change the input source without a remote control on your Sceptre TV.
How to change the input source on LG TV using a mouse
You can control LG TVs with an ordinary PC mouse. This method requires only a mouse connected via USB and a working power button on the TV. To do this, follow these steps:
- Connect the mouse sensor or Bluetooth dongle to the back of the LG TV.
- After that, press the physical “Power” button to turn on your LG TV.
- Use the mouse to scroll down until you find the “TV/Inputs” tab.
- Finally, select the desired input by clicking on the desired option.
You can also go to “Home Dashboard” first and select input from there. These steps may vary slightly depending on your LG TV. To navigate the TV menu, it’s a good idea to have a wired or Bluetooth mouse ready to go. If your Internet connection goes down and your remote doesn’t work, a mouse is a great backup option because it doesn’t need a Wi-Fi connection.
What may prevent you from using the necessary input source?
Some of you may have already encountered an input problem when you tried to use it, but something went wrong. There are some tips on how to deal with a situation like this. If you can’t change the input, follow these steps:
- Make sure that the device and the TV are properly connected. Check all the wires, and try to reconnect them several times.
- Check if the device is charged or if it needs to be plugged in. If it doesn’t connect to the power source properly, fix it.
- Try to reboot your device and TV. After you turn it off, wait a few minutes before you’ll turn it on.
- Remind yourself, had you ever changed the names of your inputs or not. If you did, maybe you’re choosing the wrong input.
When you have checked all of the above and verified that everything is OK, open the “Inputs” menu again. If everything is indeed OK, the TV should recognize the external device. Keep in mind that many modern LG TVs have an auto-detection feature in the menu. If the previous tips didn’t work for you, you can try using them.
However, if it still doesn’t work, it may be best if you call technical support. The problem could be either in your device or directly in your LG TV, so it’s best if you call both companies that make your devices for help.
- How to change the input source on Hisense TV with or without remote
- How to check whether your LG TV has Bluetooth in a few steps
- Would old LG TVs get WebOS 6.0 updates?
Is it possible to change the input source name on your LG TV?
Yes, you can change the input source name. For example, you can rename one of the HDMI inputs to indicate which device it’s paired with. This is a great way to identify your game console if you have multiple connected devices.
You can do this by going to “Home Dashboard”, “TV/Inputs/Mobile”, then “Options” and “Edit”. Finally, choose the input you want to change and enter a new name.