If you bought a new set-top box and want to use it with your LG TV, you need to know how to change input. As with many others brands of TVs, how you can change input mainly depends on which generation of TV you have.
When you have to deal with pre-Smart TV models of LG TV, you can change input with the button on the remote. If you need to do it on LG Smart TV, you’ll have to use the settings menu. Doesn’t matter what LG TV you have, you need to know how to change input. At least in a case, if you already did it and cannot go back to broadcasting.
How to change the source on your LG TV
Sometimes, TV functions may not be enough for you. You may have an old TV without streaming platforms, or LG TV WebOS not fresh enough to download the app you need. In such cases, you may need some additional devices for your TV.
No matter, what type of device you’ll add to your TV, to start using it you’ll need to change the input. For new LG Smart TVs, you can do it from the settings menu, while for older models it’ll be easier to do it with the source button on your remote.
In general, you can always use settings to choose your input on LG TV. However, it doesn’t mean that it’ll be the easiest way available. You’ll always need to consider which model of LG TV you have.
- How to add Hulu to LG TV in a few steps
- LG TV model number explained: LG TV models list lookup
- How to turn on Wi-Fi on LG TV
How to choose a source with your remote control
As with any other TV brand, you can choose input with your remote. It depends on the model of the LG TV and how exactly you must do it, but some things are similar for most of them. So, if you have working remote, do the following things:
- Turn on your LG TV with a remote.
- Tap the input button on your remote controller.
- After that, the list of all connected devices will appear. Among them, you’ll find the one you need currently. Choose it.
If you’ve done everything according to the list above, you changed the input on your LG TV. In a case where you’ll need to change it again, repeat your actions. The only requirement for the method above is an LG remote.
How to choose a source on the Home screen of your LG TV
If you have LG Smart TV, you may need to know how to change the source in an alternative way. Modern TVs often don’t have input buttons on their remotes. It’s because you can open the input menu on their Home Screen. Do the following steps:
- Turn on your LG Smart TV.
- On your Home screen in the top right corner, find the input menu. When you’ll see choose it with your remote controller.
- From the list of available inputs, choose the one you need.
After that, you can use the connected device freely. To come back to your Home screen you should press the home button on your remote, or just disconnect the device you’re using currently. Hope it helped.
What can prevent you from using the input you need
Maybe some of you already had a problem with inputs, when you tried to use them, but something went wrong. There are a few tips about how to deal with this kind of situation. If you can’t change an input, do the following things:
- Make sure that the device and the TV are properly connected. Check all the wires, and try to reconnect them several times.
- Check if the device is charged or if it needs to be plugged in. If it doesn’t connect to the power source properly, fix it.
- Try to restart your device and TV. After you turn it off, wait a few minutes before you’ll turn it on.
- Remind yourself, had you ever changed the names of your inputs or not. If you did, maybe you’re choosing the wrong input.
When you checked everything above, and you’re sure it’s OK, open the “Inputs” menu again. If everything is really OK, the TV should recognize the external device. Pay attention, that many modern LG TVs have an auto-detection feature in the menu. If the previous tips didn’t work for you, you can try using them.
However, if it still doesn’t work, maybe it’ll be better if you’ll call the tech support team. The problem can be in both – your device and directly in LG TV, so it’ll be better if you ask for help from both companies of your devices.
- What is LG TV OLED Evo Display: a brighter OLED than ever
- What is LG TV Gallery Mode: LG TV Gallery Mode Explained
- How to logout from HBO Max on LG Smart TV
How to rename input on LG Smart TV
There is actually another interesting feature about inputs in your LG TV. You can rename them for more comfortable usage. This way you’ll be capable to mark, which input to which device is connected exactly. To do so:
- Press the input button on your remote or open the input menu on the Home screen of your LG TV.
- When the menu will appear, choose the “All inputs” tab.
- Among the available inputs, select the one you want to rename. The option to rename the input will then appear to the right of it.
- Once you’ve renamed the input, return to the Home screen.
Of course, you can rename more than one input at a time if you want and always can change an input’s name back to default. This is a really useful thing when you have many devices connected to your LG TV, and can make your life way easier, at least during your TV time.