The Amazon Fire Stick is an HDMI dongle that plugs into your TV’s HDMI port. With this device, you can access streaming services as well as play music and install apps on your TV. Practically turning your regular TV into a Smart TV.
You need to connect the Amazon Fire Stick to the Wi-Fi network to get all the features. However, if you don’t have a stable Internet connection, it’s worth understanding whether it’s possible to use it.
How does the Amazon Fire Stick work?
Amazon Fire Stick is one of those devices that is most effective when connected to the Internet. The Fire TV Stick is designed to work with your Internet connection. Without it, your options are very limited and you won’t be able to use most of the features that this little device has to offer.
However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t use the Amazon Fire Stick without an Internet connection. All of Amazon Prime’s movies, TV shows, and music are streamed directly from the Internet. Without a connection, you can only use installed apps that don’t need Internet access.
- How to set up Amazon Fire Stick without a remote
- How to block YouTube ads on Firestick and Fire TV
- How to enable subtitles on Amazon Prime in a few simple steps
How many there are ways to use Amazon Fire Stick without the Internet?
As mentioned above, you’ll need to be connected to the Internet anyway, to download streaming platforms and channels. If you know what streaming platforms are, then you understand that to use them, you’ll also need the Internet. So when using the Amazon Fire Stick, you can’t rule out an Internet connection. The Amazon Fire Stick can only be used without an internet connection if you have previously downloaded content to your device. That’s almost the only way you’ll have offline access to watch this or that. If you exclude this option, you’ll need an Internet connection to use streaming services and channels. There are some examples of how you can use it without the internet:
How to download content on Fire Stick with Kodi
Kodi is a popular streaming platform. This service allows you to download videos to your Fire Stick. This is possible because the Fire Stick has 8 GB of local memory and 5 GB of that can be used to save downloaded videos. Looking at these figures, it becomes clear that you won’t be able to download whole libraries of movies, and that at best you can download a few pieces for backup. Here you can see how to do it:
- From the Fire TV Stick home screen, select Settings.
- After that, locate “Device and Developer Options”. Go there.
- At the line “Allow apps from unknown sources” set to “On”.
- Then go back to the Home screen.
- Use “Search” to find and select “Downloader” to install.
- After opening it, allow it to access your photos, media, and files.
- The Downloader will ask for a URL, add “http://kodi.tv/download” and click “Go”.
- Choose the latest version of the Kodi app and install it.
- Go back to the Fire TV Home screen.
- Go to “Your apps and games”.
- Find “Kodi” but don’t launch it.
- On the PC or laptop where all your media files are, install Kodi.
- Go to “Kodi” on the computer.
- Go to the Settings labeled with the gear icon.
- Locate and select “Service Settings” and, inside it, then “UPnP/DLNA”.
- Switch “Share My Libraries and All Settings” to “On”.
- After that, open the “Kodi” app on your Fire TV Stick.
- From the left menu, select “Files” and “Add Video”.
- Select “Browse” then select “UPnP Devices”.
- Next, select “Video Library” and confirm by clicking “OK”.
If necessary, rename the library and review it to play your movie.
How to project or mirror devices onto Fire Stick
One option for using the Fire TV Stick without an Internet connection is to project or mirror devices onto it. This is possible if you have a working local network. Here’s how exactly this can be done if you’re using a Windows 10 device:
- Open the Action Center, located in the bottom right corner of the screen. You’ll see a window on the right with several functions.
- Among them, find the “Expand” function and click on it. You’ll see the full set of functions available in the Action Center.
- Next, click on the “Project” button.
- Select “Connect to a wireless display”.
- If your Fire TV Stick is connected to the same local network as your PC or laptop, it will then be available as a projection device. Select it.
Then the mirroring page will appear on your Fire TV Stick screen.